The following suggestions are derived from an article in the UKs Guardian newspaper, when a former house burglar turned security consultant was asked what thieves look for when deciding whether to break in or not.
Burglars look for properties that are likely to offer easy entry. A simple example is an open garden gate: “If it’s left swinging invitingly wide open, you are probably a bit lax. And if that applies at the front of your property, it is likely to apply doubly around the back of your house.”
And pets don’t always act as a deterrent either. The ex-burglar advised:
“People who have pets often don’t turn on their burglar alarms because they don’t want their cat or dog to set it off. So when you see a sign saying ‘Beware of the dog,’ you don’t walk past. Instead you think, ‘This could be the one for me’.”
This ex-burglar’s top tips for securing your home are:
- Start with the front door – Because that is what burglars do. If your front door looks tatty or only has one lock instead of a cylinder lock plus deadlock (mortise), it will catch a thief’s eye.
- Defend your alley – Make sure your side gate doesn’t have a convenient handle for the thief to step onto and over. Put some trellis on top, too: burglars hate it because it snaps.
- Keep things hidden – To the passing burglar, your sitting room is like a shop window. Use curtains and blinds, so it’s difficult to see in. But make sure your window locks are visible.
- Cage your letterbox on the inside – This prevents burglars putting a long stick through your letterbox and fishing your keys off the hall table – enabling them to steal your car, too!
- Lock up your tools – Your shed and garage are extensions of your house. Put at least a couple of locks on the outside, plus wire on the window, so thieves can’t use your garden spade or fork to prise open a door.
- Don’t skimp on the alarm – Get an intruder alarm installed professionally. Burglars can spot cheap systems and dummy alarm boxes a mile off.
A far more effective strategy is to install a home security system that’s tailored to your property and your family’s needs. Having installed many burglar systems and given peace of mind to many families, we’re pleased to offer you a free, no obligation assessment.
With the added benefit of fire detection and personal attack equipment connected to your alarm, we can provide a complete package for your protection. In addition, our 24-hour monitored alarm systems allow you to alert all three of the emergency services in the event of an alarm activation. Call us on 028 254 9906028 254 9906 make an appointment and let’s explore what can be done to deter would be thieves and protect your home and possessions.